Monday, February 8, 2010

Making the Best of Missing the Bus

Wasn't really expecting to do midweek posts for my blog; figured I'd do mostly Sunday updates. But, when the situation calls for it one writes!

So the time is 5:35 PM and I'm just leaving the office. I am at the bus stop by 5:40. The last bus that will get me home is supposed to leave the end of its route at 5:42. I figure I'm good.

Not so, dear readers. I'm not sure exactly how, but I missed the bus. The time I find this out? 6:20. As the next bus that will not take me all the way home arrives.

Just. Grand.

Well, says I, the first step is to get as far home as the bus route will take me. Fortunately, there is a grocery store at the end of the route and I can get dinner there. My mom was also supposed to bring me her tax information over the weekend so I can file her taxes for her, but she didn't because of the snowmageddon. Since I am stuck tonight I give her a call thinking I can turn an obstacle into a lever. I get her voicemail, and leave a message.

While in the store, I run into an old coworker. He and I chat for a bit, which is good times. Feeling pretty positive, I grab a bit of dinner and park myself at a table in the store's cafe to eat.

I happen to park myself next to a group of people having a weekly meeting of some kind. I listen in on their conversation trying to piece together what's happening. Eventually I figure out it's some kind of motivational support group, but while listening I overhear the following:

"Buddhists, when they die but before they get into Heaven, get asked two questions. First, have you experienced true joy? Second, have you given true joy to another? If the answer to both is yes, then they are allowed to enter."

I don't know if this is true or not, but it's a bit of food for thought. I'm pretty certain I can say yes to the first. I don't know if the second is true - I'm not married/in a relationship so I don't exactly have a wife/girlfriend to vouch for me - but it was an an introspective addition to my dinner.

Of course, while I was listening in, one of the group noticed me and drew me into the conversation by asking me what I thought. I wasn't embarrassed, just mostly curious, so I answered that I was trying to figure out what they were doing. As it turns out I was right. A few of the group introduced themselves to me after they wrapped up and one even offered me a lift home, although my mom called shortly after to let me know she could give me a lift. For practical reasons, I reverted to Plan A. Regardless, the evening turned out far more interesting than I'd originally planned.

Feeling pretty good, I decided on a treat to cap the evening. Before leaving the store, I bought some hot chocolate from the barista who turned out to be very friendly and a little fun to talk to. Then, as I stood on the street waiting for my mom, I used my drink-heated breath to create clouds of breath steam in the cold air. (I did both a train engine and a dragon breathing fire) Silly, I know, but it was fun and it passed the time until she arrived.

So in spite of the crummy beginning, I'd say I managed to make tonight a win. Here's to that hot chocolate!


Also, since I mentioned it in my last blog post but didn't have an actual picture of it, I thought I'd show off the lucky hug Heather gave me in its place by my computer monitor.


Until next time, thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Stuff like this in life is too interesting to make up, which is why reality always has an appeal. Definitely keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete